1. When fresh fruits or vegetables are soaked in cold water, which occurs – osmosis or diffusion – and why?
2. When fruits are cooked, which occurs in the hot fruit – osmosis or diffusion – and why?
3. Whatvitamins are likely to be lost when vegetables are cooked in a large amount of water, and why? Give examples of specific vitamins you would expect to lose
4. Would you expect the use of a lid to influence the color of a cooked vegetable such as broccoli? Why, or why not?
5. Considering the chlorophylls, carotenoids, anthocyanins, anthoxanthins and betalains, which type of pigment is the most stable during typical methods of food preparation?
6. What effect would adding baking soda (pH ~ 8) to the recipe have on the color of the following vegetables? Remember it is the specific pigment that is affected. Give the pigment and it’s color for each vegetable.
A) Green beans –
B) Onions (white) –
C) Yellow squash –
D) Radishes –
Would you use waxy or mealy potatoes for the following potato dishes? Explain your answer. (Hint: your explanation should include the difference between waxy and mealy potatoes.)
A) French fries –
B) Scalloped potatoes –
C) Potato soup –
D) Baked potatoes –
E) Mashed potatoes –
F) Potato salad –