INFORMATIVE ESSAY INSTRUCTIONS
DELIVERABLES: An outline and a purpose statement. The purpose statement can be at the top of the outline. The actual essay, the graphic organizer.
- Select a topic: Topic is “LEADER ATTRIBUTES”
- Minimum of 750 words, no more than 1250 words
- Font is Arial, with a point size 12
- Use standard margins: 1 inch from the left, right, and bottom edges Do not justify right margins
- Use double spacing
- Utilize a graphic organizer of your choice
- Follow the Army Writing Style and standard written English.
- Use the five (5) paragraph format
- Strong purpose statement
NOTE: This is an Army essay, the topic should should also be related to the army and not just in general. Mostly related to army.
For Army writing standards, look up AR 25-50, it explains what is expected in army writing.
Writing Structure: Sentences cannot be longer than 18 words. A paragraph cannot have more than 10 sentences. The only exception is when paraphrasing or quoting a source, which should be cited. Writings in the army should be done in active voice, apart from direct quotes and paraphrasing. The introduction should start with the purpose statement, follow by topic background, then the thesis statement. The introductory paragraph needs to be outstanding, be able to grab the attention of the reader. The purpose statement should be strong and impactful.
SOURCES: scholarly sources, in text citation required where it should be. APA format.